Monday, January 18, 2010

Answer to the Question How Do I Get A Ministry Like Yours?

Stephanie Wolfe Ministries is officially 10 years old this month!


Over the past 10 years in full time ministry as a speaker, writer, mentor, leader, and consultant for women's ministry I have been asked this question many, many times, so I thought I'd blog my recent answer here for all to see.

First, find a church and get plugged in.

It is my very strong opinion that you need to be involved in your local church on a ministry level before you can take your gifts on the road. There are two reasons for this: 1) If it doesn’t work at home don’t export it! Your local church can affirm your gift. If you can’t draw a crowd there, or you can hold the interest of an audience there, then maybe you are on the wrong track. 2) You will need a “covering” for your ministry and the local church leadership should be that for you. They should encourage your gift and help it to grow. If they are New Testament leadership, they will anyway. If the leadership (pastor, women’s ministry director, whoever) seems threatened by your gifts, or seems to stifle your creativity, then you need to talk to them about their philosophy of ministry. Paul told Timothy to “stir up the gift within you” and ministry minded people were sent into ministry equipped, trained, supported, and often funded. Again, if they feel you have a gift that the world needs to hear, and then if they have a mind to send and not keep. J

Second, discover where your ministry gifts are – speaking, writing, leading, counseling, etc.

I do all of these, but I started with writing. It was and still is my passion and my strongest gift but it is the most difficult to build a ministry off of. You must be able to speak and then with the engagements you can sell your writing and other resources at the resource table. Each time you speak, ask for the message to be recorded and then make copies for distribution. Some people will like to hear you first and then decide if they would like to have you for a speaker for their event.

Third, give your gifts away until people insist that you take money for your ministry.

Do not charge for your engagements until you are experienced. I spoke for just a love offering at first and most of the time it didn’t even cover my expenses, but it was a learning phase for me and it just wouldn’t have been right to charge for my ministry. As my ministry began to flourish people were happy and blessed to contribute to my needs so that I would keep doing what I was doing. That was a blessing, since a “worker is worthy of his wages” according to the Word of God.

Forth, write for some newspapers, or magazines, anywhere you can get your name out there and share your heart.

Local papers are always looking for something interesting, even if it is a school paper or employee company newsletter – anything and everything. If you have something to say, say it! It will end up in print and if it is good, they will ask for more and more. I have written for many magazines, from local papers like Atlanta Christian Magazine to international ones like, Focus on the Family, Just Between Us, Spirit Led Woman, and Effervescence.

Fifth, utilize technology as much as possible.

Get a simple website, a facebook page, a myspace page, a twitter acct, and start a blog – this is easy and there will be people at your school that can show you what to do. Upload some things to You Tube. (I don’t do this like I should, and my website is currently behind in a big way. Too busy ministering to keep up with the business side of it I guess, but I’ve always had more of a gift for ministry than for business!)

Sixth, network, network, network.

Meet people everywhere. Don’t go to “sell” yourself. Go to meet people and learn from them. Every year I choose some women that I admire in ministry, business, or life and just call them an ask for 90 minutes with them. I pick their brain. I listen intently to their answers and I ask God to sow in me.

Lastly for now, don’t become obsessed with having your own ministry. Just minister!

Your gifts will find a way for themselves. I could never have been a good teacher without being a good student. I could never be a writer if I wasn’t a reader. I could never have been a good mentor without being a good mother. I could never be a great leader without being a great follower. I’m simply a follower of Christ, doing what Christ did, and helping others along the way.

Notice, I didn’t say, find a name for your ministry, set up a 501C3 for donations, get a business plan written up, or write a mission statement, etc. etc. etc. This will come later. It is not a bad idea, it is just a bad idea to start with. Most do this and fail. Nothing wrong with a business plan, or a mission statement, don’t get me wrong, I have them. But I didn’t start there. I hope this helps a bit as you seek the Lord on your ministry path for His glory sake.


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home