Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Shack - A book that EVERYONE on the Planet Should Read, especially the Bereans!

I just listened to a radio interview on The Berean Call website that has me very sad. They seem to be trying to protect us from a book that they feel is dangerous. I am going to tell you all my opinion of this interview, and I am going to be painfully honest, though I hope still generous with grace.

Most of the controversy comes from those (like these) that haven't even read the book, but primarily from those that feel that they are to be "watch dogs" for our Christian faith. We all have the Spirit of the living God within us and can certainly judge for ourselves. I am always very concerned about anyone that I feel is being critical or judgmental of another. Especially when the criticism is of another brother or sister in Christ. I was highly offended by the inappropriate portrayal of a profoundly godly man, William P. Young, the author of The Shack, as a heretic among other things.
Many pertinent questions about God are addressed throughout this life-changing book. Many are coming to Christ and others are reconfirming their faith in Christ because of it! I don't see that as a bad thing, just because it doesn't fit someone's narrow view of all things God. The book offers many insightful and scriptural thoughts about God, yet opponents of the book see it as an "abomination" because it seems less than main stream, conventional, or traditional in THEIR (not so humble) opinion. Well, I have kept silent about it, but I've had it!

The critics of The Shack are few and far between, and most of the criticism comes from those that have God in some "box" that they have created for Him with their finite minds. God cannot be comprehended by our human intellect, and even our interpretation of His Word is fallible therefore we'd do well to tread lightly if we think we have figured Him out - like the two gentlemen on the radio seem to think that they have.
Using phrases like the book is an
"abomination from beginning to end." This is incredible to me! For someone to criticize so strongly is bad enough one Christian of another, but the man wielding these harsh words admitted that he had NOT read the book! He called it "blasphemy of the worst sort." That attitude not only SHOCKS me, but DISTURBS me, since it reminds me of the Pharisees and "religious people" of Jesus' day! He was neither conventional nor traditional and didn't fit in their boxes for a Savior either, and they rejected His message too; straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel.
Their dialog about the book is blasphemy to me, since they don't even know what they are talking about!!!!! Stating that the "writer should tremble because he is going to stand before God" YIKES! We will all stand before God and give an account for every unwholesome word we have ever spoken. My Berean friends from this interview are dangerously casting stones. I do not feel comfortable judging another man's work. I am more interested in bringing people together than I am in dividing people. I am working hard to DRAW people to Christ, not polarize Christians and divide those that already call Him Lord. I know that they seem to think we can't see the truth from a lie without their help, but their God is my God too. He is more than able to "lead me into all truth" therefore I do not need them to tell me what is WRONG everything, and they do seem to find something wrong with everything. This may be a huge disappointment to God for the use of their time here on earth.
The old gentleman in this interview (in my opinion) is way off base, especially if he thinks that what is written in The Shack "corrupts the mind", or "corrupts the heart" because that couldn't be farther from the truth. I am shocked that he feels so confident in his opinion of this book that he has never read, and the others whose names that he mentioned with contempt calling what they are doing for Christ "Apostasy and Blasphemy!" Wow, I wish I was that close to God or that sure of everything that I believe, but I am of the opinion that none of us are as perfect as we seem to think we are, or as worthy to sit in judgment of another.
THE SHACK is the best book that I have read in my entire Christian life and I am proud to tell everyone that I know to read it. In fact, I now have it on my Mentoring Women must-read list for the month on Evangelism. (Yes, evangelism!) Maybe they should interview someone who HAS read the book!
I believe that God can come in any form that He needs to in order reach the hearts of those He loves, even if The Bereans don't like the form He chooses. He's never been too afraid of what people might think. He chose to reveal himself in burning bush, but we don't worship bushes. He chose to speak through a donkey, but we don't worship them either. His voice is like thunder some times and still small voice at others! Come on, people, why not an endearing black woman? If you've read the book, this part makes sense. He's not saying GOD IS A BLACK WOMAN.
If you haven't read the book, then read it, and if you still don't like it, just don't like it! But there is no reason to bash a brother of the faith who is telling his story through an allegory or a novel that is life-transforming like The Shack. Legalism never changes lives - read your Bible too, while your at it.
In these last days, we need to move more as united brothers and sisters in Christ and stop dividing our troops over our differing opinions and criticisms. Do yourself a favor, and READ THE BOOK. I have attached from you my own link for you to listen to Paul Young (author of The Shack) being interviewed by James Robison - a powerful man of God who gets it!
Please feel free, as I have here, to disagree with me on this, but only AFTER you have read it for yourself. And by all means let's grow up and get along!

The Shack it is a novel that centers on a man who was “stuck” in his pain from a terrible tragedy that occurred in his life, and as a result, he had some very distorted views of God. In order to be healed, he has to go to the “shack”—the source of his pain. It was in this place that he met God. In this interview, Paul Young briefly shares his own testimony—including his failures and his redemptive, healing journey—and its relevance to the story in this book. If you click on the following link (or copy and paste it into your browser), http://lifetoday.edgeboss.net/download/lifetoday/SWF/2008/07/80714.swf you can view this interview, which runs for about 15 minutes of the 30 minute program. If you are unable to view this interview, you can click on the following link and read the transcript from that interview: http://www.lifetoday.org/site/DocServer/7-14.doc?docID=1641

During a second interview we watched, something spontaneous happened in the audience that was very powerful. I’ve included that one here as well:
http://lifetoday.edgeboss.net/download/lifetoday/SWF/2008/07/80728.swf.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate Hillstead said...

So I went and listened to this interview right before reading your post, and nearly everything you wrote soothed my angry feelings towards those two men.


This book was monumental in the formation of my understanding of God. I read it about six months after my conversion, and still think of it often. I was so humbled by the idea of the Father (of the universe!) manifesting himself in the form of a southern black woman with a sweet-yet-sassy attitude and a penchant for baking. So beautiful!! God is, by His own divine nature, mighty and strong, but has CHOSEN to restrain Himself in order to articulate His sincere love for us. :)

December 25, 2008 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

I so agree, Stephanie! The Shack is packed with theology (forgiveness and our relationship to God)! I love the visual of the garden of our soul! It constantly comes to mind and Isaiah 51:3 has become one of my favorite verses lately because of it.

Isa 51:3 For the Lord will comfort Zion; He will comfort all her waste places. And He will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the Lord. Joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the voice of song or instrument of praise.

How beautiful to think of God cultivating and caring for the garden of our soul....making it like the garden of the Lord with each passing day of pressing in, drawing nearer to Him, and obeying. A planting of flowers and trees....lots of fruit trees! :) instead of wasteland. I'm so thankful for the gardening skills of the Holy Spirit...that when invited into the garden can make anything grow!

January 18, 2009 at 11:40 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...

I was just thinking of the Shack again and reading both of your posts was a divine appointment for me this morning. Thank you both for your honest and insightful comments. I am drawn to Christ in all new ways these days and love the freshness of it all!

January 18, 2010 at 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home